What should I do to lessen my chances of contracting Coronavirus?
If you, like many people in the world, are worried about Corona virus, you may want to optimize your health and wellness regime as much as possible. Chances are you are already socially isolating, working from home, not taking public transportation and so on.
There is much advice and misinformation on the Internet today, so you may want to do some research before succumbing to magical thinking. The truth is there is no one thing that can shield you from contracting the virus.
However, you can practice good habits to boost your immune system.
CBD and the immune system
Can CBD oil boost my immune system?
The short answer is that CBD oil has long been thought to be an immuno- suppressant. That is it works very well on inflammation and reducing the side effects of diseases of the immune system, or as they are commonly known, auto-immune disorders. Those are diseases where the immune system is overactive and attacks processes in the body.
So the question is, should you be taking it to boost your immune system? The truth is that not enough studies have been conducted on full spectrum CBD oil and how it affects the human body. Some studies on HIV patients indicate that CBD and THC can actually increase the production of white blood cells. So what’s going on?
How does my immune system work?
Our bodies are constantly being invaded by bacteria and viruses. Our white blood cells or leukocytes, seek out and destroy these organisms. Leukocytes can be divided into two groups: 1) lymphocytes (B cells and T cells) that destroy antigens and help the body to remember previous attackers; and 2) phagocytes that absorb and neutralize these intruders. Optimal functioning of our immune system relies on communication between our white blood cells and our other tissues and organs.
The endocannaboid system is a part of that network and works to modulate those messages. Ingesting cannabis will have an effect on the endocannaboid system since cannabis can bind to those receptors, affecting feelings of well being, euphoria, relaxation and lessening pain and inflammation. It can also have negative effects in some people.
Early studies showed that cannabis worked as an immunosuppressant. More recent studies show that cannabis may be an immuno-modulator. That is when suppression of an out of control immune system is called for, cannabis suppresses the immune system. When bolstering is called for, cannabis works to enhance immune system function.
So should I dose myself with CBD or THC preventatively?
Before embarking on any regime, you should consult a physician. In this case, someone who has a thorough knowledge of how cannabis affects the human body.
You might also ask yourself what you can do additionally to boost your immune system.
Stress hormones can potentiate a wide array of diseases, such as:
- weakened immune system
- heart problems
- high blood pressure
- muscle pain
- lowered sex drive
- hormonal disorders ranging from infertility to hypothyroidism
What can I do to mitigate stress?
- Exercise in moderation. Concentrate on slow non-stressful exercise like yoga, walking, biking and swimming. Over exercising or strenuous regimes will lower your immunity
- Meditation. If you don’t know how to meditate or can’t still yourself long enough to begin, try guided meditation. There are many free guided meditation videos on YouTube for you to choose from
- Get out into nature if you can. A nice stroll outdoors in fresh air and sunshine will make you feel great
- Breathing exercises, again consult YouTube
- Stop focusing on bad news, if it is stressing you. Read the news in the morning and then set aside social media and news the rest of the day
- If you can, do little things that make you happy
- Think outside the box. Freelancers and small business people, you are going to have to change the way you do business and present your offerings. However, worry won’t help you think
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” ― Hippocrates
What else can I do to boost my immune system?
Food matters. The kind of food you choose to fuel your body with will affect its optimal functioning. Whole foods, such as fruits, meats, poultry, vegetables and even grains contribute vital nutrients that will help you remain in optimal condition. What should you be eating?
- Citrus fruits, Vitamin C increases white blood cell production
- Red Bell Peppers contain more Vitamin C than citrus fruits
- Garlic. Its sulfuric compounds boost immunity
- Broccoli, filled with vitamins
- Poultry, high in Vitamin B6
- Shellfish, high in Zinc
- Green tea
- Mushroom complex
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Prebiotics and Probiotics-gut microbiota that resides in the gastrointestinal tract provides essential health benefits, particularly by regulating immune homeostasis. Prebiotics are a form of fiber that will prep the gut for probiotics to take effect.
- CBD has been found to suppress inflammation caused by an overactive immune system. A few recent studies suggest that CBD can act as an immuno-regulator.
- Consult a knowledgeable physician who works with cannabinoids before embarking on a regime.
- To keep healthy during the COVID19 outbreak you should follow the standard protocol of social distancing and clothes and hand washing
- Clean your paraphernalia and don’t share
- To boost your immunity you should practice stress management techniques such as meditation
- Get good sleep
- Get some moderate exercise
- Eat nutritionally laden foods
- Take supplements that are known to boost immunity